Friday, June 3, 2011

IRSF Conference 2011

Once again, a busy but fun-filled weekend! This year's conference was in Boston. Mitch and I left the kids at home with Grandma and Grandpa this year. After a cancelled flight and a delayed flight, we eventually arrived in Boston 4 hours later than planned on Friday. We were both tired and hungry so we skipped out on the welcome reception and got a couple bowls of clam chowder - yum! We made it back for the crackerbarrels and got to see some people we haven't seen since last year, which is always my favorite part about these conferences!

Saturday's keynote speaker was Dick Hoyt and he was amazing! I left the kleenex in our hotel room because I am always determined not to cry at these things, but that was a mistake. A huge mistake. I bawled through his videos. Not only is he a runner, which is near and dear to me, but he pushes his disabled son in all his races. It was an incredible speech.

We usually focus on something we want to learn more about at these conferences and this year our focus was on reading and education. We feel like we have a better idea of what to ask of Riley's teachers now, and we also realized we need to read more often to Riley. Fortunately Addy is an amazing older sister and loves reading to her sister so she's been sleeping with Riley and reading to her just about every night. But we need to do more and work with her over the summer.

I think the most important message we took away from this conference was rather than assume Riley can't do something, let's assume she can instead. So that's what we're going to do!

I take significantly fewer pictures when my kids aren't along, but we did get one shot of Mitch and I when we went out to dinner with our friends Deberah and Patrick Sunday night.
If you notice I'm a little thick in the middle (as well as a few other places but try not to notice those ;) ) I am 6 months pregnant with our baby boy. I guess I never did a formal announcement on my blog. :)

3 comments:

Erica said...

so glad to see you both in boston! beers are on me next year!

Zenaida said...

you look so cute!!

JourneyBeyondSurvival said...

I'm so glad you got to go! It sounds great.