Monday, August 16, 2010

school has begun!

We love it when school starts. For one thing, the kids are still young enough to love school. For another, they drive mama crazy during the summer. And lastly, it is a lot of work having 3 kids home all day, every day. Add to that having to pause what I'm doing every hour or two to feed Riley her meals and snacks and I can't get much of anything done during the summer. I tried to have a life of my own, dragging the kids to the gym nearly every day. But I feel guilty when I drop Riley off in the childcare because I know she'll most likely just sit in the same spot the whole time. And if she does get hungry the childcare workers have to stop what they're doing and feed her every bite, while trying to entertain the other kids that are in there and that's probably not fair to them.

So anyway, yay! School!

Addison started 2nd grade. Yes she wants to be called Addison instead of Addy now. Also, a Hello Kitty backpack and Barbie lunchbox are OK for a first grader but embarassing for a second grader. Who knew?

Riley was supposed to start kindergarten this year but they wanted to keep her in preschool another year since she just got her eyegaze communication device at the end of the last school year. They wanted to get more comfortable with her on it before she went to another school and had to start over. Mostly this is a good thing, delaying the stress of starting a new school and new teachers another year. But in a way for me, I wanted her to be in kindergarten because she was supposed to be in kindergarten! Oh well, in 11 years when Rett Syndrome is cured she will be the most popular kid in her class because she will be able to drive before everyone else.
I think Riley was a little jealous when Addison's bus came first


I wanted one more picture of Riley but she was pretty determined to get on that bus when it pulled up!

If you look closely you can see her BIG smile. I'd say she was pretty excited to be going to school again!

3 comments:

Erica said...

made me smile!!

Dawn said...

Oh my gosh, they are too cute for words! I love, love the matching outfits and Riley's big smile when she is on the bus :) I am looking forward to next year when Reagan can start preschool!

The MacDonald Family said...

Love it! Especially the driving before everyone else thing!! Your girls are so beautiful!