Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Running Blog

With one month to go until my first "big" race - a half marathon - I figured it's time to start blogging about running!

A little background: I started running inconsistently about 3 years ago. I started the Couch to 5K training program a couple times but never finished it. In January 2009 I actually stuck with it and started running 3 days/week pretty consistently. By last summer I was running 2-3 miles at a time. Sometimes I'd run 4 miles and I thought that was SO far.

My first 5K: Last July I decided I wanted to try running a 5K race and I talked Mitch into signing up with me. It was so much fun! We ran two more 5K's over the next several months and then I signed up for my first half marathon, which is coming up June 12.

Stepping it up a notch: I should say a BIG notch. Running a marathon has always been something that's been on my list of things to do. Since I was already training for a half marathon I thought maybe this was the time to go a little farther and run the whole darn thing. October is Rett Syndrome Awareness month so Mitch and I signed up for the Chicago Marathon on 10-10-10 and hope to raise money for Rett Syndrome while running it.

So there you have it! Right now I'm following Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathon training program although I'm adding a couple extra weeks since I was ahead of schedule when I started. I'm also running 12 miles as my longest instead of just 10 since I have the time. I already have one 12-miler under my belt (um, ouch!) and plan to do another one next Monday with a training buddy. After that we'll see!

Well, off to run now!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Ouch is right - I honestly think I would die if I ran that much. I suppose I need to at least start walking! YOU GO ERIN!!! I am SOOOOO impressed!

The MacDonald Family said...

Whooo Hooo!! You go girl!! Running is AWESOME! I ran a marathon prior to having kids - don't think I could do that again right now but maybe when they're grown. My husband and I run a half marathon every year for rett syndrome (local race here in MI). I've been running since high school and love it, so relaxing and energizing at the same time. Keep up the great work!!