Friday, June 26, 2009

UAB visit and a general update

Today we went to Birmingham to visit Dr. Percy and Jane Lane. The first thing I want to point out is driving to Birmingham and back in one day is exhausting! Next time we are staying in a hotel the night before. We brought the whole family this time and everyone did very well.

Riley overall is looking good. They think we should get her a gait trainer though - she really should be standing a lot during the day but she doesn't like standing without holding our hand so rather than us becoming the stander, we should get one for her. She has a PT appointment Tuesday, so I'll talk about it then.

She hasn't gained any weight since our last visit though, so I need to make sure to add butter and sugar to everything! Afterwards we went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch, where she ate lots of greasy cheese pizza. Then we also stopped at Dairy Queen and got her some ice cream so we're off to a good start. :)

I haven't updated much lately - summer is keeping us busy, busy! We joined a gym and I finally got brave enough to take all the girls to the childcare and I'm so glad I did. I really was just worried they wouldn't know how to handle Riley, but as it turns out I didn't need to worry at all. I am so impressed with this childcare - we've seen them helping Riley "draw", and they have her play out on the playground. Most of the time they feed her snacks, since that's her favorite thing to do, but at least they don't sit her down and leave her in one spot the whole time.

We also got a membership to the country club that is part of our neighborhood so we have TONS to do now. I've been taking tennis lessons, and Mitch is already on a league. And I've gone to a ladies golf clinic they have once/week and Mitch and I have been able to golf together a few times now. But most of our time is spent at the pool! Unfortunately even the pool is pretty hot for Riley - but we take her in once it shades over, which isn't until after 7:00 at night. I should probably try mornings but the pool doesn't open until 10:00 and it's about 90 degrees by then - Riley does not like the heat!

So that's pretty much been our summer - go go go! In a couple weeks my mom flies down and then will drive up to Wisconsin with me. Then before we know it we'll be back and school will be starting. Time flies!

1 comment:

Brooklyn and Kelly said...

Thanks for the update....been wondering how you all are doing!! SOunds like you are off to a fun start to the summer for sure!