Tuesday, June 3, 2008

quick post

I don't really have anything to update but thought I'd post quick while Riley is snoozing on the couch!

I really need to figure out a way to help Addy understand why Riley is the way she is and make sure we are giving all our kids fairly equal attention. The siblings panel at the conference was really hard for me to listen to - it was the session that affected me most emotionally. I know Addy and Morgan will be better people in the long run having Riley for a sister but I imagine growing up with a special needs sibling has to be hard.

Addy was out with Mitch and Riley the other day and told Mitch that she wished Riley was already in heaven. :( I don't think she understands and I don't think she meant it but I'm sure she has a really hard time with how much attention Riley gets.

In other news we have a girl coming over to work with Riley for a few hours each day now. Yesterday was the first day and it went ok, but I need to be more vocal about my expectations.

Oh! I also met another mom and daughter with Rett Syndrome yesterday. We visited a physical therapy place while they were there. Her daughter is 11 (I think?) and so beautiful! I hope to see more of them in the future!

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

Awww man, this post broke my heart. I am sure it is unbelievably hard on siblings especially when they are young. I think that as they get older and gain a better understanding of Riley it will be a bit different. Also as Riley gains more communication with you and with her sisters it will make it easier on both of them. I have absolutely no advice since Brooklyn is an only child. All I can say is keep loving all your girls just like you do - you are an amazing mom! We often times forget that we are not the only ones in pain over our daughter's battle with Rett Syndrome. Hang in there. I wish I could give you a great big hug right now!