Thursday, March 6, 2008

two reasons I'm glad we're moving

  1. Our Early Intervention here is a joke. The PT doesn't even live here and only comes up to our town twice a month. That's not enough for Riley, or many of the kids she sees. They don't have an OT and the speech therapist is only good if your child has trouble saying their r's or something like that. She has admitted she doesn't quite know how to work with kids with autism (or Rett Syndrome).
  2. Riley is currently getting ABA therapy and apparently they are raising their rates and the only reason I know this is because our therapist that comes to our house told me this morning. The director of the center rarely talks to me even though we are paying her what I feel is too much money as it is. Plus they haven't changed any of Riley's programs since getting the RS diagnosis and I really think they need to. But since our ABA therapist does a lot of PT work with Riley we'll keep her, but it makes me feel good that we're moving and should have access to more therapists or even students that could work with Riley.

3 comments:

Avery said...

Keep your head up!

Rebecca said...

Hello there. I just wanted to reach out and say hi. If Found the link to your blog from Brooklyn's. My daughter Caitlyn has Rett Syndrome too. She is 4 1/2 now and was diagnosed at 2 1/2. Welcome to our Rett Family. In my mind, it is the one family you never want to belong to..but once you belong, the support is amazingly warm. We all stick together, and make the journey.

-rebecca

designwaitress said...

Seems like things happen for a reason, doesn't it?
I know moving isn't the most fun, but this will be a refreshing change to have access to good therapy!